Regular exercise and physical activity has numerous benefits. Everyone benefits from exercise.
– Exercise can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease (such as heart attack, stroke, peripheral vascular disease) by strengthening the heart, lowering cholesterol, improving circulation, and lowering blood pressure.
– It can help control weight and prevent obesity
– Exercise helps your body control insulin and blood glucose levels which can decrease the risk of diabetes Type 2 as well as obesity and metabolic syndrome
– Exercise can improve mental health by releasing chemicals that can increase relaxation, help with anxiety, depression and improves cognitive function.
– Exercise releases chemicals that improve the structure and function of the brain
– Exercise strengthens bones and muscles which can slow the loss of bone density that occurs with aging, helping to prevent osteoporosis, and improve arthritis
– Exercise can reduce the risk of some cancers especially ones associated with obesity such as colon cancer, breast cancer, and uterine cancer.
– Exercise can improve your sleep by helping you sleep longer and increasing the duration of sleep
– Exercise can improve sexual health in both men and women
– Balance and muscle-strengthening activities as well as moderate-intensity aerobic activity can help reduce the risk of falls in the elderly
– Evidence shows that physical activity can reduce your risk of dying early from the leading causes of death, like heart disease and some cancers.
Exercise has a lot of benefits however prior to initiating an exercise program, please consult with your doctor. This is especially important if you have not exercised in a long time, have chronic health conditions, or have any concerns about your health.